Skip to main content

God is good

forgiveness is a funny thing, its something we just expect of others, but often have trouble giving ourselves. but forgiveness is such a freeing thing. and it something that i got to really live out a few weeks ago.

- the back story -

if you've been following me on Instagram for a bit you probably know about my childhood best friend Caleb. i kinda talked about him all the time and i even posted a blog post about our long distance friendship a few years back. but, if you're new around here you're probably sitting here confused as heck, because for the past year or so, we haven't talked at all.

- more back story -

Caleb and i met the first day of sixth grade, and from day one we were practically inseparable. But, being friends in 6th grade meant that we went through a bunch of petty middle school "drama" over the years. and there were plenty of times (especially when we were 13/14) that i thought we were "over". during these times, my mom would always say that if anything were to happen between us we would find our way back to each other because we were supposed to be friends, and to be honest, i always laughed cause i didn't think we'd ever not be friends.
Caleb and I practically grew up together and helped each other through a lot of really hard stuff. i honestly couldn't imagine my life without him. BUT halfway through our sophomore year of high school (about 4ish years later) and shortly after my 2nd move (from Texas to Tennessee) some stuff went down and our friendship ended very abruptly. it was absolutely awful. it took me at least a year to fully come to terms with the whole situation. and forgiving him was one of the hardest things I've ever done. especially when he didn't ask for it. i held onto so much pain and anger for the longest time and it didn’t just hurt me, but it hurt the relationships I had with the people around me as well. it wasn’t until after my mom talked to me and told me that I needed to “forgive and forget” that something changed. You see, sometimes you have to forgive even when they don't ask. and sometimes, its more for you then for them. when I forgave Caleb, I felt a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. I felt ok with the situation and I moved on. I fully expected to never talk to Caleb again and weirdly enough, I was totally ok with that.

- looking back -

looking back, God really knew what he was doing. caleb and i had a really unique friendship. we grew up together which meant we didn't have to explain all the messed up stuff going on behind the scenes. we had lived it together. and because of that i didn't feel like i needed any other friends, and when i found friends, i didn't really feel like explaining my backstory. It was so long, and honestly, it was extremely painful and I didn’t feel like telling people personal stuff like that. so i ended up just not putting myself out there at all.

when i moved here to Tennessee i think God knew that there were some really freaking amazing people out there and i was gonna miss it if i had my "security blanket" (aka Caleb) so he took that away. was it hard? heck ya. did it hurt? heck ya. but in the end, it was so so very good for me.

- right now -

about a month ago i was talking to a dear friend of mine about how sometimes God takes people out of your life for a season, but when the time is right they'll come back. and well, here we are.
all of a sudden Caleb showed back up. he asked for forgiveness and wanted to start over. was is hard? heck ya. letting him in again and letting go of all the hurt was awful. When we started talking again, all of the pain and hurt I had pushed away came right back to the surface. but I've never been happier. having my best friend back has been insane and i couldn't ask for anything better. Is it gonna be a journey? Yes. We’re not at the same place we were before. And to be honest, that will probably take a bit. We are gonna have to rebuild a lot of trust and some other stuff but it will all be worth it.

you see, God always has your best plan at heart. he knows what (and who) you need and when you need them. all you have to do is trust him. He knew that I needed friends where I was, not 12 hours away. and he knew that having Caleb in my life would keep me from them. so he took him away. And a yearish later, after making some of the most amazing friends in the entire world, he brought Caleb back. and taught me how to love when it’s hard, and forgive when it’s even harder.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

in Gods eyes

   We are a generation controlled by what the internet says we should look and feel like. In Gods eyes each of us is just the way we were meant to be. Each of us is wanted and loved.  No one is better then anyone else. We are fearfully and wonderfully made.  Each of us is priceless.     Every day girls are told that they need to eat less, work out more, wear this and read that. And so very often, I'm swept into those lies.  So often I am believing what the public thinks of me instead of what my Heavenly Father thinks of me. I am his creation created for good. All that I need to remember is that I am beautiful to my creator and that's all that matters.

why is it so hard to say goodbye?

   Texas is the only place I've ever lived. When my family moved to Dallas, it was hard. I was 5 hours away from my childhood home and all my childhood friends. But moving to Tennessee feels like moving across the world. I'm having to pick up everything and move to a completely new place with new people so very far from everything I've ever known. And to make it better, moving means saying goodbye. And I hate goodbyes.    I become close to people very quick. Its just who I am. And becoming close to people quickly means I've had lots of time to get to know each other which means saying goodbyes kinda sucks..    In this day and age all we have to do is shoot out a text or post a picture on Instagram and you are instantly connected to pretty much any and everyone in the world. So why is saying goodbye so hard? Why do I feel sick to my stomach seeing people for the last time?     For me, I'm afraid I'm gonna lose people. That people who i love and care abo

forever in our hearts

I’m still trying to find the words to describe all of the emotions running through my mind, but here’s what I came up with  at 4am  through swollen eyes and a heavy heart.  Our lives aren’t hallmark movies. We can’t always predict what’s going to come next, and we aren’t promised (our version of) a happy ending. But our stories are hand crafted by the creator of the universe and they are perfect in his eyes. Even when they leave us broken, lost, and confused in the moment.  Yesterday, after weeks of begging the Lord for a miracle, we didn’t get the answer we wanted. the world lost an amazingly infectious person and the news hit me like a truck. Treven was the most kind, selfless, and compassionate kid I knew. He never met someone he didn’t like, and I don’t think he knew how to greet someone without suffocating them in his classic Treven embrace (little did I know that when he sprung his surprise attack hug on me after frozen it would be the last time I would see his sweet fac